Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Anticipating the first day back

I've been up since 5:30 this morning. It was a restless night for sleep. Today is the first day back for the 2007-8 school year and though I have been working on technology stuff during the summer, today really does kick off the new year with students and teachers returning to school.

This will be the start of my third year with district as opposed to school responsibilities. I found it funny last week when meeting with the administrative assisstants and the meeting organizer asked everyone to introduce themselves and tell folks how long they have been in the district. There were two of the admin assistants who have been in the district for 30 years. The newest member of the group has held her position for six years! There were a couple of on call people in the room who are brand new to the job. When it was my turn to say something, I indicated that I started with the district in 1974... 33 years ago. I started teaching in Smithers, BC in 1971.

When I read this blog the other day, The First Day - A Different Perspective, I couldn't help but think back to a few days in my carreer.

1) The first school day in September 1978 when I got my first posting as a school principal at Davis Bay Elementary School. Yes, it was a 0.2 assignment and meant I would teach 4 days a week, but not that first day.

2) The first day of school in September 1986 when I wasn't there because I had taken a leave of absence that would turn out to lead to resignation and 13 years in business with my brother and then on my own.

3) The first day of school in September 1999 when I returned to the school district as principal of Langdale Elementary School.

4) The first day of school in September 2005 when I started in my current role as Technology Manager.

Today, I will visit a number of our schools and complete that tour tomorrow or Thursday this week. My first stop will be the school where I was last principal. I like it that the kids there still greet me warmly. It will be a great set up for a great new year.

No comments: