Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lazy me

I have trouble understanding why I have not updated my blog for two months. I could claim to have been too busy, but that would be a lie. I have had lots of things to write about and I just haven't done it. I've been driving in my car, returning from a school visit thinking about what I could report. I've read other's blogs and thought about similar ideas I could express, I've been at a couple of conferences and had ideas to share... just too darn lazy to follow through. And, some of you may know this feeling, the longer I hold off posting, the longer I wait.

Well... today I had a great experience and I want to share it with you.

I'm working this week with a laptop lab open for staff drop in. Some workshop ideas went out in June. So far, I've had precious few takers. Early in the week I was reading one of my favourite blogs, Moving at the Speed of Creativity and a particular podcast caught my attention http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2007/07/15/podcast172-a-9-year-old-discusses-programming-in-scratch-initial-impressions/

I listened to the podcast and went straight to the MIT Scratch Page and downloaded the software. After playing with it myself for a bit, I called a couple of parents and invited them to bring their kids and any other hangers on to my laptop lab to explore this afternoon. What a fun afternoon of exploration and problem solving it was. So much fun that I've told them they can all come back again tomorrow morning and play some more.

There... I've done it. I broke my slump.

Check out Scratch... I think you'll find it a lot of fun.

No comments: