Thursday, April 22, 2010

One year

It has been a day of thought.

One year ago today, I lost not only a good friend, but also a son-in-law, to cancer. Elias Minatsis was a young man and a wonderful husband and father. He left behind my daughter and two beautiful youngsters who are now 5 and 2 years old.

The last year has, of course, been a difficult one for Chelsea. She has kept an online journal of the events of the year in her blog, Letters to Elias. Many commenters talk about how meaningful her words are, sharing her experiences. And that, is a good thing.

I know that it is often said in a joking manner by many in-laws that their son's or daughter's spouse is not the person they think lives up to the parent's expectations. Sometimes it is not a joke. But, I can truly say that Elias and I had a good relationship and that I felt our limited time together was special to me. Whether it was the time he was so patient teaching me to cook, or the time I tried patiently to golf with him... it was always a good time.

I miss you my friend, but I also thank you for the sunshine today, the gusts of wind, the wisps of clouds, and the many happy memories I have of you and Chelsea in better days.

Please continue to watch over us from up there, eh!

To close in the way Chelsea does with you in her letters,

P.S. I love you,

~Bob

No comments: