Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Compelling use of an iPad

Last month I had an opportunity to work as Principal in a school in our district (Sunshine Coast) replacing the Principal who was away for the day. This was my first "POC" for this school year and this was a great school to work at. 

A couple of months ago, I read an article, iHelp for Autism, and was impressed. I sent the link to my friend who is responsible for the Special Education Programme in the school district and she advised me that there was a teacher in the district who was using an iPad with her students. As it happens, this teacher works in the school where I was on that day and I had the opportunity to spend some time with her and some of her students using the iPad. 

There are some really great apps she has found (and, I'll write more about that later) but I think you can probably tell from this shot that this is one hugely engaged youngster. 

The teacher has offered to let me visit the class again and talk more with her about her use of the iPad (her own personal one, by the way) with her students. I'm certainly looking forward to visiting again. The application being used by this student is a very interesting puzzle called Geared, and, there is a free version. I downloaded it and am stuck on level 29, so I'll definitely be asking the student to show me that level when I get there next time.

And, thanks to Kyla and this student's mom for permission to use his image in this post.

No comments: